Tuesday, August 3, 2010

School Board Meeting Monday, August 2nd

Last night I attended the School Board Meeting at the DCSS Administrative & Instructional Complex. Now I know where are tax dollars are going! Hah! The room where the meeting was held was newly completed. The board members themselves sat way up in front of what looked like 1000 chairs - very comfortable and expensive looking, on a large podium with engraved nameplates. The spot lights shined on all their heads and faces. Camera and technical equipment was everywhere! Just guessing I would say several million dollars were spent in this room alone. As a tax payer, I think my dollars might have been better spent saving a few teachers from lay offs or perhaps taking away a furlough day. Last month the meeting was held at the Bryant Center on Lawrenceville Highway - not as glamorous, but just as effective - possibly more so for me, because it felt like the board truly cared about excessive spending. After last night I am not quite so certain.

It seems that the school system is almost ready to be open for students on August 9th. That might depend on the area in which you live since there are still some construction projects that are not complete and a few principals to be hired.

Tomorrow I plan to attend an informational meeting about the changes at Dunwoody High School and meet the new principal. Will post my thoughts about that meeting and registration on Thursday in a couple of days.

No comments:

Post a Comment