Thursday, July 29, 2010

Visits to Schools

Yesterday I spent some time visiting a few of the schools in District 1. First stop was Hawthorne Elementary where I meet the Assistant Principal, Gail Jones. Seems Mrs. Jones and I were meant to meet at some point - her mother and my elementary school principal are best friends! Mrs. Jones even had a picture of Lillian Cantrell in her office! Wow, what a small world.

I visited Hightower Elementary and met the Administrative Assistant and a couple gentlemen from the maintenance staff. Also,I met the Principal, Mr. Oliver Lewis and was happy to hear about his vision for the students and school.

Next, was Chestnut Charter Elementary School where I met, Mrs. Toni Clark, one of the Administrative Assistants. She has a daughter at Dunwoody High School, who has been in Dekalb schools since 3rd grade. Mrs. Clark has a great understanding of the problems and some fine ideas for solutions to the Dekalb School System.

My final stop yesterday was to visit Dunwoody Elementary School and say hello to Mr. Clark.
What a beautiful school and a wonderful example of all that a school should be - the school is clean, bright, well organized and from the minute you walk in you have the impression that the students' priorities come first!

I will be continuing my District 1 school tours in the next couple of weeks and will be posting my impressions of each school.

No comments:

Post a Comment