Saturday, August 14, 2010

First week of school

Hope everyone in District 1 had a good first week back to school. I heard of buses that were as much as 50 minutes late for pick up on the first day, 40 minutes the second day and 30 minutes the third. By the 4th day the drivers had decided that needed to tell the students they were coming at a later time and therefore were only 15 minutes late. I know that traffic around DHS, Vanderlyn and DES must have been an absolute mess, but I think by now all the kinks should be worked out and thing should be running smoother. Everything I heard and read indicated that this would be easier week transportation wise.

I also heard stories of school buildings where the heat was on! Imagine 95 degrees plus outside and just the same inside. Hope those schools are nice and cool on Monday morning when the students and teachers go back.

More bad press for Dekalb County Schools this week - I won't even go into it. By now I am certain that everyone knows of each unsavory tidbit. All I can say is that there is good news for the citizens of Dekalb County. Come November 2nd we have the opportunity to elect 4 new board members, who can hopefully steer our school board towards a brighter future and find a qualified superintendent who is interested in the needs of our children and community.

There was an article in the Dunwoody Crier this week about eduKalb. I mentioned in an earlier blog that I had responded to questions from them at the beginning of August. This week I was pleased to see that they featured me along with incumbent, Dr. Walker. The eduKalb website is very informative and I encourage all to read it. http://edukalb.org/

There is a great article on the site about Dunwoody's Mayor Ken Wright, who serves on the eduKalb board. Here is the link: http://edukalb.org/?p=275. This is a quote from the article which I feel strongly agree with, "Dunwoody focuses a lot of time on chickens, signs, and zoning, but NOTHING on schools. The schools are the backbone of every community. You can remove every chicken, every piece of signage, every multi-colored strand of Christmas lights, and every apartment building in Dunwoody – but without great schools Dunwoody will stumble."

We have the opportunity to make our schools great! Let's do it!

No comments:

Post a Comment