Monday, July 19, 2010

Here are some questions from a concerned parent and my answers in blue.

Where do you stand on school choice and school vouchers? I personally, as well as many of my friends who will vote, are against them.
I wish that every school was teaching every student at the optimum level, and I will strive to make that a reality. If that were the case there would certainly be no reason for vouchers or school choice.

What do you plan to do to see that the teacher furlough days are eliminated? I have been very outspoken in this area as I firmly believe this is wrong. The teachers are the most important part of each day in our children's lives.
I couldn't agree with you more. I have many friends who are teachers and are being effected by this in such a big way.
I want to examine exactly where the money is being spent in our school system. I think that there are too many layers of administration and would like to see some of those positions eliminated so that we can free up some money for the teachers. Also, we are hiring specialty teachers from outside our state and country. While I think that this is necessary to promote a complete "world learning" environment, I would like to see some of our teachers take additional courses so that they can teach these classes and reduce their furlough days.

How do you feel about teaching to the test rather than teachers being allowed to teach the subject. I personally feel there are way too many tests. My take on this - have a weekly test in the subject and you can see what a student is learning and what they are not learning; have a test at the end of six weeks and you can see what they have learned and retained over that six week period; then a test at the end of the semester covering all that was taught that semester. The timing of these tests would be open to suggestions and input from the teachers but bottom line - let them teach.
I agree with you that there are too many government restricted tests and this takes away from teaching about the subjects at hand. I like your idea about testing weekly, every six weeks and at the end of the semester.

IEP's must continue and stay in place for those students who have them.
Yes, of course. I would like to see IEPs in place for all students.

Do you feel that you have an obligation to respond to emails and/or questions from those who have elected you, even if you strongly disagree with their opinion and/or questions?
Yes, absolutely.

Would like to have an understanding of why someone may disagree, so that I may see the situation from a different perspective and learn from it. Do you feel you represent all people in your district regardless of their economic status?
Yes, having lived in all the areas I will be representing I have come across people of all different economic standings. I respect all that an individual may be going through and understand that no matter what their child has the right to a great education.

Do you feel that the most important thing as far as our schools are concerned are the students and the teachers?
Yes, and by keeping that in my heart and my mind I hope to make the right decisions.

When the search for a new Superintendent is started, what are you going to be looking for in that person? I personally believe that we must find someone who has the qualifications to manage a large school district but also one totally removed from the DeKalb school system.
Last night I attended the School Board meeting and was very impressed by our interim superintendent. That being said I would like to look within the county and outside the county for this particular position. I do not want to limit our search and overlook a DeKalb resident who might be a fine superintendent.

No comments:

Post a Comment